St. Albans Church / Community Centre
& Cafe Connect
St Alban’s Church and church hall in Blurton was built at the same time as the council estate in 1955. Sadly, the traditional industries of coal and pottery had declined and many residents had by now become aged and in ill health. Although the church had served the residents well, by 2005 the building had become faded and difficult to maintain.
At this time the Church began to widen its scope and diversify its existing work within the community. It set out to raise sufficient funds to create a multi-functional community centre within St Alban’s. A key decision was made to incorporate a commercial kitchen and café within the design. This had the effect of convincing funders that we were serious about our intention to serve the community. The café’s purpose was to provide low cost nutritional meals for the children’s nursery, lunch clubs for older people and residents. An attractive building incorporating a versatile interior was designed where many groups could meet to enjoy friendship and support in a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
The fund raising group, having selected eight suitable funding providers met weekly to fill in application forms, create an extensive Business Plan with support material and liaise with the architect. During the five years of fund raising and despite many trials and tribulations our belief in the project was realised when the funders agreed to provide two thirds of a million pounds for our community centre development.
In July 2010 St Alban’s Community Centre and Café eventually opened to serve the community of Blurton for what is hoped will be for many years to come.
"To serve the community and provide a modern attractive and adaptable facility at the centre of the community. It will act as a hub in order to initiate and encourage activities that will enrich lives."
Working together we can and do make a difference